Saturday, January 18, 2014

Something A Little More Personal - Not Makeup Related

I've been sitting here in my little booth at work for a while debating whether or not to make this post but I've come to the decision that I will in fact go through with this because I feel like I can't possibly the only person that feels this way.

For those of you who don't know me or haven't known me long, I used to be thin. Over the years a combination of medications and life have added on the pounds and as I stand here and now, I am beyond unhappy with my self image. I am literally a thin girl trapped in an overweight girl's body. Believe me when I say that I am by no means an advocate for today's standards of what a woman should look like, it is both insane and sickening. I am however an advocate for health, I believe that it is the most important thing a person could have. I, like many others, have unfortunately not been blessed with perfect health and now my weight is adding to those existing health problems.

I have been struggling with my weight for a few years now and instead of fluctuating, it has just slowly increased. After trying on a dozen outfits last night before going out, I felt embarrassed and hopeless. None of my clothes fit me the way they used to and nothing seems to be able to minimize the appearance of my round stomach.

That experience has me ready for change, ready to fit back into my old clothes, ready to feel comfortable wearing a swimsuit, even if its just a one-piece. Ready to reform my life. Because that's what is really is isn't it? A reformation of your life.

The problem? I love food. When I say I love food, I don't think you quite understand just how serious I am. I love to cook it, I love to eat it. My favorite food group? Cheese. I am literally in love with cheese. Anyway, now I'm getting off track.

My plan is to join Weight Watchers. The good thing about Weight Watchers is that it really helps me put food in perspective for myself unlike a lot of other diets. A diet can inform me about how bad sugars are and these are good fats and those are bad fats, the whole shebang, but for some reason that doesn't make a difference to me. Now when you make me choose between a bowl of ice cream and dinner, I'm going to choose dinner. Of course there are going to be days when I'm damn well going to choose the ice cream but the regret of using up my points is just going to make me choose dinner next time.

I don't know if you know how Weight Watchers works but I'll give you a little run down. Basically, based on your weight, height, age and a few other things, you are given a certain amount of points for your day. Lets say I get 24 points for the day. Every food item has a number value that you can look up in a little book. Every time you eat a food, you subtract that food's point value from your daily points allowance. Once you get to 0 you are done eating for the day.

I've tried Weight Watchers before and can't remember why I stopped because I was seeing results so I'm ready to give it another go. I think I will probably do some weight updates on here so bear with me.

My concerns are that I tend to do something really consistently for a little over a week and then lose my momentum and with this, I can't let that happen because my health depends on my success. Any advice on how to stick with something? Please leave a comment!

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

4 comments:

  1. I too have been eating like a starved dog.Every day I blow it and I tell myself tomorrows the day,but every day I do it again.I also don't seem to have the ambition to exercise,it's either too cold,too windy,or I'm too tired,I'm probably exhausted from all the sugar highs and lows.I too think I'll try Weight Watchers tomorrow and maybe go for a short walk.Who knows maybe I can gain a little edge instead of gaining a few pounds ! Thank you for your honesty maybe we can get a little support from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment! Hopefully I can get on track and update with some good news!

      Delete
  2. im the same exact way! i'll stick with something for a week and being doing so well with it but then i slowly lose my motivation and that's it- im done lol i use to work in a group home where the clients all did weight watchers and the results were amazing! but you gotta stick with it lol you gotta just keep telling yourself that this is what you want to do and you want to be into a cute bathing suite for the summer! im in the same boat i want (need!) to lose some serious weight! i just had a baby (4months ago) and after he was born i was looking at my stomach in the hospital and couldn't believe how much weight i gained throughout my pregnancy! u know, i was expected it to all go back to the way "it was before" as soon as he came out but it didn't, and slowly i realized well obviously the 60+lbs i gained wasn't going to just magically go away! over the past 4months i have slowly lost some of the "baby weight" and some pants are starting to fit more comfortably BUT im def not where i should be nor where i WANT to be...i too would love to start weight watchers or even just have the motivation to exercise,,,keep my updated and let me know how youre making out hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply, its so nice to know you're not alone! I will definitely keep updating on here so stop by and take a peek every now and again! Good luck to you!

      Delete